Thursday, August 13, 2009

I just have to put my 2 cents out there

So I have been watching (minimally) all the rage, and I mean literal rage, over health care reform. Since I haven't been paying close attention, as I don't want to get too rilled up, I maybe misinformed on a few things. HOWEVER, I don't understand the rage.
Why is it that I should be mad about everyone in this country having health care. It seems very logical to me. Do they plant lobbyists and insurance company reps at these town hall meetings, because it seems to me they are the one's who are going to be pissed. We already pay out the a** for insurance because people go to the ER who don't have insurance and then they can't pay the bills so they hospital writes them off. Who do you think foots the bill for that, you and I. It's going to cost us all of our appendages, and why? Because we couldn't get off our a** 20 YEARS AGO and do something about it.

To me, health care should be something that you get the moment you are born. When my baby is born I am going to have to add him to mine, and pay for him. Which is fine because I am one of the lucky one's who has a job that pays for my insurance. It's not the greatest insurance but something is better than nothing. It is easy to sit in a cocoon and say I have it so I shouldn't have to worry about other people having it. Well someday I just might not have it, and then what??

Working in medicine has enlightened me in some ways. I am no longer naive about how it works. It is not about taking care of people, it's making sure that you make money off of every patient that walks through that door. Why is that? Because somehow insurance companies, and drug companies got all of the power. Take the f*in power away.

So the government will run it, which yes is scary, but to me so are the alternatives. For those who say it will be like Canada and you can't get an MRI for ten years, so you either die from that cancer, or you go to the states to get treated. I say don't you think we see what goes on elsewhere and maybe, just maybe, we will learn from this??? Have a little faith. I can see why we don't have faith in our government, but look who ran the government for the last 8 years? There is a new sheriff in town, and I have faith in him.

So I say stop the rage, get to work and figure it out. For our children's sake, so they don't have to have this particular argument. Believe me I am sure there will be a lot of different arguments for them ahead.

Ok, I just fell off of my soapbox :)

No comments:

Post a Comment